Zucchini Noodles with Mushrooms and Kale

I have discovered zucchini noodles about a year ago. There is a local restaurant that used to have them on their menu (not anymore, sigh!) and since the first time I tried them I have wanted to figure out how to make them myself. I thought you needed to be some kind of culinary genius with incredible knife skills or something, but instead all I needed was the right tool. First I tried a julienne peeler, it seemed small and convenient and it was recommended by one of my favorite vegan bloggers, Angela Liddon of Oh she glows (seriously if you don't know her blog yet, go check it out right now!) but this time I have to say I did not agree with her. The julienne peeler she recommended not only was hard to use but also did not do a very good job. The universe evidently wanted me to keep trying, because that same week the hilarious Karen Alpert aka Baby Sideburns aka my favorite blogger of all aka my best friend if I ever get to meet her posted this about a thing called Veggetti. Now, she is not usually a food blogger, not at all. So after I stopped laughing out loud and getting weird looks from my kids I decided to check this Veggetti out and I am glad I did. It is so easy to use, it's like sharpening a pencil and the noodles are just the perfect size and texture. Anyway, feel free to use whatever works best for you. You might have a julienne peeler and it might work for you. Or you might have a spiralizer and that's great. I have a Veggetti and I love it!

Another thing I like about zucchini noodles is that I can make the same sauce for the whole family and then I will just give my super skinny husband and kids regular or whole wheat pasta while I just make my own zucchini noodles bowl. Today though my bowl looked so much better than theirs that they all asked to try mine, so maybe I will just have to start buying more zucchini in the future?

I love the combination of mushroom and kale or spinach, it has such an earthy flavor, especially with extra garlic. Don't be shy on the garlic and the pepper because zucchini noodles definitely need some extra zing to spice them up.

Zucchini Noodles with Mushrooms and Kale by http://vegan-plus-fish.blogspot.com/

Total calories for one bowl: 340
Total satisfaction level: 100% (I could barely finish the bowl I was so stuffed!)

Ingredients: (makes 1 serving)

2-3 garlic cloves finely minced
1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
8 oz of sliced baby bella mushrooms
1-2 cups of baby kale or regular kale stemmed and coarsely chopped
1 tbsp of pine nuts (optional)
1 tbsp of nutritional yeast (optional)
2 medium zucchini
salt and pepper to taste

Preparation:

In a non stick skillet pour the olive oil and add the minced garlic. Turn the fire to medium-low and let the garlic cook 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.

Add the mushrooms and a generous pinch of salt and cook them 8-10 minutes until they have released most of their liquid and are soft.

Add the kale and cook another 2-3 minutes or until wilted ( the baby kale will cook faster, regular kale might take a little longer)

Turn off the stove.

Make your zucchini noodles. 

Pour the mushroom/kale mix on your zucchini noodles. If you are using the nutritional yeast and the pine nuts add them now before stirring the noodles.
Adjust the salt and add a generous amount of freshly crushed pepper for extra flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment